102nd Anniversary
February 21, 2024

On February 21, 1922 a group of local citizens met in the little Mohegan Schoolhouse (now The Rugged Boot shoe store) on the top of Barmore Hill (now East Main St/Rt 6) for the purpose of organizing a fire department. This meeting was after a fire in one of the Mohegan hotels. The following 24 men are believed to have been in attendance at that important meeting: Theodore Hill, Jr., H. Field Horne, Arthur Horton, J.W. Horne, William O'Neill, James Gilmartin, John Wubbe, James Cuatt, Bernard McCord, Addison Garland, Albert Heady, David Travis, Everett Travis, Albert Travis, George Jetter, J. Edward Jetter, Olie Odell, Robert Foell, William Foell, Herman Croft, Christopher Jetter, William Zugner, Cleveland Curry, and Roy Heady.

In the early part of the 20th century, Lake Mohegan was the place to be for live bands and Broadway entertainment outside of New York City. The many clubs and hotels attracted big name performers, and the summer crowds swelled with visitors from all over the region. Prior to 1922, fires were fought by the Peekskill Fire Companies or the Yorktown Heights Engine Company. However, their effectiveness in being able to reach a fire in time to save lives and property was limited, given the road conditions and equipment at the time, along with the overwhelming growth of the Mohegan Lake community.