Mohegan Volunteer Fire Association
There are currently no events
Barbecue Grill Safety
Email Print RSS Facebook Twitter

By MVFA Webmaster
May 21, 2019

With warm weather upon us, and Memorial Day weekend approaching, the Mohegan Volunteer Fire Association will like everyone to enjoy the spring/summer hazard free. Did you know nationwide, each year there are about 600 fires/explosions that occur due to gas grills, causing injuries? Many of the accidents happen the first time a grill is ignited for the season or after the grill's gas container is refilled and reattached. Before you plan your next outdoor cookout, please review these safety tips:

Propane Grill Safety Tips:
-Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.

-Make sure your grill's propane tank has three-prong gas valve handle. As of April 1, 2002, the three-prong design replaces a five-prong handle as the safety standard.

-Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.

-Always keep propane gas containers upright.

-Never store a spare gas container under or near the grill or indoors.

-Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.

-Never keep a filled container in a hot car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.

-Make sure your spark igniter is consistently generating a spark to create a flame and burn the propane gas. If the flame is not visible, the heavier-than-air propane gas may be escaping and could cause an explosion.

-Never bring the propane tank into the house.

-When using barbecue grills on decks or patios, be sure to leave sufficient space from the house siding and eaves.

-Keep children and pets far away from grills.

Charcoal Grill Safety Tips:
-Keep in mind that charcoal when burned in grills produces carbon monoxide (CO). CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments. Each year about 17 people die as a result of CO fumes from charcoal being burned indoors or in a poorly ventilated area. To reduce the risk of CO poisoning:

-Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents or campers.

-Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided.

-Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals.

Comment Comment 0 Comment(s)

Useful MVFA Website Links:

Homepage Donate Contact Us
Guestbook Members E-mail Members Area
Visitors Today: 762 Visitors Since May 2, 2005: 2,781,229
Mohegan Volunteer Fire Association
Website Proudly Maintained By:
Mohegan Volunteer
Fire Association

P.O. Box 162
Mohegan Lake, NY 10547
Emergency Dial 9-1-1
Non-Emergency Numbers:
Headquarters: (914) 526-0823
Headquarters Fax: (914) 526-0825
Ambulance Corps: (914) 526-1005
Ambulance Fax: (914) 526-1048
Website Designed and Hosted By:
Firehouse Solutions
Copyright © 2020 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)